Code of Conduct
Australian Skeptics Inc (ASI) events are organised so that everyone can have a good time. We welcome people from all backgrounds (such as sex, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, age, or abilities). We want everyone to feel comfortable in that environment, and ask that everyone who attends our events respects this diversity.
Accordingly, we require all attendees, presenters, organisers and volunteers at ASI events to note and comply with the following code of conduct:
• Be polite and respectful. We encourage spirited discussions about all kinds of potentially controversial topics, but always be courteous.
• No touching without the consent of the other person. If unsure, don’t.
• No hate speech, vilification or promotion of violence.
• No intimidating or threatening behaviour of any kind – physical or verbal.
• During presentations, don’t be disruptive.
Two additional things regarding speakers and presentations:
• Please do not interrupt talks, presentations and panels unless a presenter specifically allows it. When permitted, avoid comments and keep your questions short.
• Most presenters will be available for a chat after their talk, but don’t monopolise them and consider others.
ASI reserves the right to exclude entry to or remove any person who breaches this code from the event in question without a refund, and to exclude that person from attending future ASI events. We will report illegal conduct to the police.
Have a problem and need help?
Please come and talk to one of our event organisers or committee members. We will be scattered around the event. Alternatively, we can be contacted on 0432 713 195. We assure you that your concerns will be taken seriously and treated with respect. Coming forward does not mean you have to make a formal complaint and anything you raise will be kept confidential if you wish.
Recording and Filming
You may blog and tweet about events. But please note that some speakers do not want to be filmed or recorded. Any recordings you might make should not be published in full; short sections may be used for comment purposes, but please note those sessions where attendees are asked not to film, and definitely not to publish.
Those attending the convention do so with the implicit consent that they themselves may be filmed or photographed.
The official tweet hashtag is #Skepticon2018.
At Skepticon 2018 we are trialling a new Q&A system using an SMS service. This is instead of the usual situation of using roving microphones or attendees’ queueing at standing mics.
Please text your questions to 0439 063 735 either before or during a session. Please ensure you indicate who the question is for.
Note that not all speakers may have time to take questions, and not all questions will be put to them. We reserve the right to limit questions on the basis of number and content.